Sunday, April 22, 2012

Buy a quality Dutch Oven

Which Dutch oven to buy? Buy quality…Camp Chef and Lodge are the best, period! My wife Vickie gave me a 12 inch Lodge for Father’s day many years ago. I seasoned it according to the directions that came with the oven and started cooking.
This oven is still my prime baking oven today. I have ovens from each company.

These days Dutch ovens arrive pre-seasoned. But even pre-seasoned ovens need a bit more seasoning.
As you begin your outdoor cooking adventure cook something greasy like a bacon-potato-cheese “something” dish a few times. Also, for the first few times you cook in your oven avoid high acid foods like tomatoes. As you do this your cast iron will begin to build a black carbon coating called the patina. A well seasoned oven can be as non-stick as a Teflon pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment